The Home Solutions Team includes our handy people, occupational therapists and housing support officers.
We work across Cornwall offering solutions that can help people stay safe at home. This includes:
- Adapting their home
- Providing them with equipment
- Financial advice and assistance
- Moving to more suitable and appropriate accommodation
Our aim is to support people’s independence
Our handy people provide help with household maintenance and repairs for people over 60 or have a disability.
Our housing support team can offer practical advice on how people can stay in their home and where they may be able to find funding if they need their home adapted and can’t afford it.
Our occupational therapy team can provide advice and equipment and arrange minor and major adaptations for those people with a long term / chronic health condition.
Please contact us for more information about any of our services.
We have a new Cornwall Home Solutions Policy with Appendices for 2016 – 2019
How much will it cost?
If in receipt of a means tested benefit, such as Guaranteed Pension Credit or Housing Benefit, it is £12 per hour including VAT + the cost of any materials. If not then it is £18 per hour including VAT.
How can I access the service?
Call 01872 224707 and we will take your details then your local Handyperson will call you back and make an appointment
Is there a waiting list?
Depending on demand we hope to be able to visit within 2 weeks although it can sometimes be longer.
What sort of jobs will the Handyperson help me with?
They can help with minor repairs and adaptations in the home, including:
- Small building repairs, clear guttering on bungalows, small glazing jobs
- Minor adaptations (installation of grab rails, hand rails or temporary ramps)
- “Odd” jobs (putting up curtain rails and shelves, moving furniture, assembly of flat pack furniture)
- Changing washers or taps, renew sealants, replace toilet seats, small areas of tiling, unblock sinks
- General home safety checks with remedial action (fitting smoke and carbon dioxide detectors)
- Replacing electrical fittings such as sockets, light fittings
- Falls/accident prevention checks with remedial action (securing loose carpets or putting up grab rails)
- Security checks with remedial action (fitting key safes, spy holes, window and door locks and chains)
- Energy efficiency (for example installing low energy light bulbs, draught proofing)
- Loft clearance to allow for insulation to be fitted
- Cleaning pathways to minimise risk of slip hazard
- Signposting clients to other services
This service does not include gardening but AGE UK has vetted services which includes gardening, tel 01872 266383.
Are you eligible for help with gas safety checks and servicing?
Cornwall Council has received Gas Safe Charity Grants to help eligible homeowners to be Gas Safe. Call the Cornwall Home Solutions Team on 01872 224707 to see if you could be helped.
We can arrange for a local Gas Safe contractor to carry out work at the home of successful applicants. The type of work funded by Gas Safe are gas safety checks, gas servicing, gas boiler repairs or work on gas cookers, fires, pipework or water heaters.